Wow. I’m such a jerk. I made Ian eat salad tonight and you know what.. he even liked it 😯
In all seriousness though, I am really pleased with how well tonight’s dinner turned out. While trying to figure out what to make for dinner tonight, I couldn’t help but think about my favorite wing spot in Portland – Fire on the Mountain. For those of you who live in Portland or are planning on visiting, I highly recommend eating here. Their wings are out of this world and so is the rest of their food – including their salads!
Lately, I have been really into FOTM’s (Fire on the Mountain) Jamaican Jerk Salad. Unfortunately, I know that their incredibly flavorful salad is probably not the healthiest thing for me to be eating on a regular basis (and honestly.. probably not the best for my wallet).
So there I was, daydreaming about FOTM’s Jamaican Jerk Salad when an idea hit me. Why don’t I make it myself! I ran out to the grocery store picked up a few ingredients, forgot a few ingredients, picked Ian up from his office and headed back to our local Fred Meyer’s for the remaining ingredients.
While in the car heading to Ian’s favorite place in the world (enter sarcasm), Ian asked what we were planning for dinner tonight and had the most disappointed look on his face when I responded back with.. SALAD.
And you know what? Ian loved this salad and so did I! The best part? It is both tasty and diet friendly. I’m marking this down as a win.
If you are looking to switch things up for dinner while eating healthy, I would recommend giving this a try!
Jamaican Jerk Salad Recipe
Serving size is for 2 people.
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning (use your own discretion here)
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen mango
- 1 head of green leaf lettuce (or any greens you prefer)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp Blue Cheese Dressing from Bolthouse Farms
- Heat skillet on medium heat & pour olive oil onto pan.
- Cut chicken breast into medium/small pieces and season with Jamaican jerk seasoning.
- Throw chicken into pan and add soy sauce and brown sugar.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop vegetables for salad.
- Once the chicken has been cooking for 8-12 minutes (or whenever it’s done cooking) and add frozen or fresh mango. Depending on whether you use frozen or fresh mango the cooking time on this will vary. I chose to cook the mango until it browned slightly.
- Toss lettuce in blue cheese dressing and add remaining vegetables, avocado and chicken to plate.
And voila! This meal took me less than 20 minutes to make and was absolutely delicious. While I have provided measurements, feel free to stray from these measurements seeing that this is a salad recipe and will be somewhat hard to mess up. You can also definitely use less of certain ingredients such as avocado and chicken to decrease your caloric and fat intake, however, these are not the worst foods to be eating if you are looking out for your health.
I am not a professional chef by any means, but if you would like me to share more recipes I create and try out, please let me know below in the comments and I will start sharing more on here 🙂 I hope that you all give this one a try!
Now your turn!
What is your favorite salad to eat or make?
What have you been craving today?